The Nigerian Film Industry was not spared from the turbulence that rocked the ship of 2016. The industry witnessed several deaths of top rated artistes, that graced local and international scenes. Some of which are:
1. Bukky Ajayi (82): Veteran Nollywood actress Bukky Ajayi died on July 6, 2016 after an unsuccessful battle with heart-related issues. Her big break into Nollywood was her role in the Village Headmaster in the 70s. In March 2016, the 2016 Africa Magic Viewers’ Choice Awards (AMVCA) awarded her with the 2016 ‘Industry Merit Award’.
2. Veteran Actor, Festus Aguebor. Festus Aguebor, died on February 23, 2016. His cause of death was undisclosed and was a shock to all his fans. He was known for his roles in Igbodo and Family contract. He is believed to have been in his 70s.
3. Actor, Fred Ebhoria Ekata: Fred died on May 17, 2016 from a kidney related disease which plagued him for a year and left him bed-ridden. He loved to play elderly roles in Nollywood films.
4. Actress, Henrietta Kosoko (53): Actress Henrietta Kosoko, wife of veteran actor Prince Jide Kosoko died in June, 2016. She died in R-Jolad Hospital, Gbagada, Lagos. She became famous after her lead role in the Nollywood film, Omolade which was produced by her husband.
5. Yoruba actor, Abdul-Lateef Titilope Ashimiyu aka Alfa Lateef:
Nollywood Yoruba actor, Abdul-Lateef Titilope Ashimiyu aka Alfa Lateef died in June, 2016. He was known for his roles in Odunlade Adekola’s movies. He died as a result of Malaria. He was buried in at his family house in Ile Egbaunta, Agunpopo area of Oyo town.
6. Actor, Isiaka Adewale Najeem. Actor Isiaka Adewale Najeem died on August 7, 2016 at a church Lagos. His cause of death is still a mystery and he was buried the same day.
7. Elder Maya Martins Njubuigbo: On September 30, beloved veteran Nollywood actor Elder Maya passed away after months of battling with a liver illness. His death was announced by fellow actor Yomi Fabiyi was the first to reveal it on Instagram.
8. Mulikat Adegbola: Veteran Actress, Mulikat Adegbola popularly known by her stage name Ashabi Iya Adinni passed away on December 3, 2016 after a brief illness.